Expanding the Adventure - Enhancing your practice with the help of horses
Session type: Pre forum workshop
Session day: Thursday 8th August
Session duration: 1 Day
Key words: Equine Therapy
EARLY BIRD AVAILABLE UNTIL 19 JULY
$180 Early Bird Full Rate (less 10% $18 for AABAT Members)
$150 Early Bird Student/Concession (less 10% $15 for AABAT Members)
$220 Standard Full rate (less 10% $22 for AABAT members)
$190 Student/Concession (less 10% $19 for AABAT Members)
Enhancing Your Practice – With the help of horses
GROUNDWORK THERAPY is one of the first Australian based models of equine facilitated personal development and therapy. It is a powerful concept that allows an individual’s self-growth and expanded awareness. Groundwork Therapy facilitates this horse and human connection and through this connection provides the individual the opportunity to expand their awareness and find pieces of themselves that they are unable to see yet, but already have.
This one day experiential workshop will take participants on an adventure of learning and skill building with horses as co-facilitators. Ultimately, we are learning about horses to learn about ourselves. Horses are key to teaching us how to build relationship. Enhancing relationship between participants, practitioners, and their surrounds. Working with horses can teach us a set of skills and frameworks of how to work with humans in a different way.
Why Should You Attend – What Will You Learn?
- Participants will learn core principles: there is no right or wrong – only safe and unsafe, invitational at every level and horses are sentient beings
- The Invitational Approach Framework which begins with an invitation to ourselves
- Responsibility and Safety Agreement
- Increased awareness of how ‘ready’ we are to receive information
- Building relationship through experience
- Learning mastery of practice
- Learning a framework with a set of transferable skills that we can take back to our ‘non horsey offices’
- Putting the ‘Invitational approach’ into practice – for example; ability to invite the client into the process to have them be responsible for their own learning rather then having passive learning environments
- Learning how to utilise and integrate outside spaces into your practice more
Horses are extraordinary animals. They are able to co-facilitate this work to optimise our learning. Horses have the uncanny ability to mirror our emotions back to us. If we are to be in the same space as a horse, we have to be honest with ourselves, learn to trust ourselves, and take responsibility for our own thoughts, feelings, experiences and perceptions. To work with a horse you learn that every action has reaction and consequence, even the smallest ones. You learn how to communicate with respect and empathy in a non-judgmental, non-confrontational way, which then becomes transferable to the human world. You learn to create healthy respectful boundaries for yourself and recognize them in another. You learn to live in the present, look to the future and let go of the past. Horses provide us with direct and powerful feedback. We need to trust ourselves before they can trust us, own our emotions, respect boundaries and take responsibility for ourselves.
Lunch and materials provided, please bring closed toed shoes. No prior horse experience is necessary.
For more information contact Kylie at